Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Soap 101, Tallow Blend

Here is one of the first soap recipes I tried. 
After buying suet from a local butcher and rendering the fat myself I was able to make this tallow blend containing some vegetable oils also.  At this point, my goal is to try many recipes to find the ones I like working with, with the most local ingredients I can find.  Part of my vision is to support local farms.  I cannot wait to be able to incorporate fresh local goats milk, buttermilk, lavender and many more locally farmed ingredients into the basic recipes.  I love living out in the country ~ I'm a farmgirl at heart!   
So, I haven't decided whether or not I will continue to use tallow in my hand crafted soaps.  Personally, I feel it supports the local cattle farmers whose meat is sold at my local butcher and utilizes all the parts of the animal so nothing is wasted.  However, I know there are many people who would prefer not to use soap containing animal products and I respect that also.  On the other hand, most of the vegetable based soaps require importing oils from far away and this doesn't do anything to support my local community.  I will probably end up trying to strike a balance with this to be able to offer quality products, with a variety of choices. 
I have tried milling the recipe above into cornmeal bars which was really fun - more on the milling adventures later!
What creative projects have you been working on?  Please do tell!
Blessings,
Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment